MoonFire's award-winning CD, Present, Past, and Future, is on the Azalea City Recordings label (ACCD 2003). Named "BEST CELTIC ALBUM" by the Washington Area Music Association, Present, Past, and Future features Jody on hammered dulcimer, piano, keyboards, and harmony vocals; Elise Kress on flutes, pennywhistle, vocals, and guitar; and Cathy Palmer on violins. This captivating recording was described as being "charged with dancing rhythms and joyous refrains" by the Washington Post.
CLICK HERE to order MoonFire: Present, Past, and Future (CD only) on line with credit card.
CLICK HERE to order MoonFire: Present, Past, and Future (CD only).
2. Sweet is the Melody (Iris DeMent)/Tune for the Dancing (Cathy Palmer) 4:09
6. The Pet Set: Mr. Puppy's Hornpipe (Cathy Palmer) / Ragtime Tabby (Jody Marshall)
/ The Poodle Polka (Elise Kress) 6:24
7. White Dress (Dave Swarbrick) 3:11
8. From the Mist / Maranatha (Cathy Palmer) 4:51
10. The Parting Glass 2:58
Total time: 45:42
JODY MARSHALL: hammered dulcimer, piano, keyboard, harmony vocals
Guest Musicians (tracks in parentheses):
Notes on the Tracks
1. Jenny Dang the Weaver/Jackie Coleman's/The High Reel - 3:41
The first of these great reels is Scottish. "Jackie Coleman's" and "The High Reel" come from Ireland.
2. Sweet is the Melody (Iris DeMent)/Tune for the Dancing (Cathy Palmer) - 4:09
We deeply admire American songwriter Iris DeMent for the way she captures the transcendent beauty of everyday life. This song is a lovely example of her simple, elegant imagery. Cathy wrote the waltz that follows to be paired with the song.
3. The Road to Baltinglass (Jody Marshall)/Whelan's Jig/Coleman's Cross
Jody wrote the first jig when MoonFire scored a theatre production of "The Steward of Christendom" by Irish playwright Sebastian Barry. The next two jigs are from Ireland.
4. Ca' the Yowes (words by Robert Burns; music trad.) - 5:28
In the early 1790s Robert Burns would often stroll by the ruins of Lincluden Abbey (the "silent towers") on the banks of the Clouden River near Dumfries. During his walks he devised this song, which he set to a traditional Scottish air. Elise first heard this song from the great Scottish singer, Andy M. Stewart.
5. Prelude XV (J. S. Bach)/The Wild Irishman/The Reconciliation - 4:13
Jody enjoys arranging classical music for the hammered dulcimer and adapted this piece from Bach's "Well-Tempered Clavier." The reels are from Ireland and Scotland, respectively.
6. The Pet Set: Mr. Puppy's Hornpipe (Cathy Palmer)/Ragtime Tabby (Jody Marshall)/The Poodle Polka (Elise Kress)
A set in honor of three of our best friends: Cathy's sweet, smiling golden retriever, Shantih; Jody's playful and affectionate kitty, Tiger; and Raoul, Elise's boisterous and charming standard poodle.
7. White Dress (Dave Swarbrick)
A beautiful love ballad written by one of England's favorite fiddlers.
8. From the Mist/Maranatha (Cathy Palmer)
Cathy says, "'Melody for Maranatha' started out as a quiet lullabye but it evolved into a joyous celebration. 'From the Mist' is one of the those tunes that seemed to write itself."
9. Silver Tip/The Butlers of Glen Avenue (Anthony Sullivan)/Caracena (excerpt) (Bill Whelan)
An Irish jig to start, followed by two tunes that show some of the fine writing in contemporary Celtic music. Versatile banjo player Tony Sullivan wrote "The Butlers." "Caracena" was written by the gifted composer of Riverdance, Bill Whelan, as part of his Seville Suite.
10. The Parting Glass
A famous Irish song collected in the 18th century. Goodnight, and joy be to you all!
Present, Past, and Future is available on iTunes. Just search
CLICK HERE for information about Jody's holiday CD - Carol of the Bells.
CLICK HERE for information about Jody's CD - Cottage in the Glen.
BOOKS & SHEET MUSIC
MERCHANDISE | WEDDINGS | NEWS & REVIEWS | INSTRUCTION | BOOKING | HOMEPAGE